Call for Executive Committee Nominations
The Hoosier Chapter and the Heartlands Group are each accepting nominations for members to run for terms on their respective Executive Committees.
Nominations for Hoosier Chapter Executive Committee
The Hoosier Chapter Nominating Committee is accepting nominations for individuals to run for the Executive Committee. The Hoosier Chapter’s Excom governs the Hoosier Chapter. Nine vacancies need to be filled by suitable candidates. The five candidates receiving the highest number of votes will serve for two years; the other four candidates will serve for one year.
Nominating Committee members are Teresa Morehead, (317) 255-2371 or email@example.com; Elizabeth Weber, (317) 347-0885 or firstname.lastname@example.org; and Tom Gordy, (765) 759-6927 or TGSalsaguy@aol.com.
To submit a nomination for the election, send the information listed below to the attention of Nominating Committee, Sierra Club Hoosier Chapter, 6224 N. College Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46220, or call the Chapter office at (317) 466-9992. Nominations may also be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com. Information to include for nominations: 1. Name, address, and phone number of the nominee. 2. A brief signed statement of consent to run, and if elected, to serve on the Excom. Nominations must be received by Sept. 15.
The following rules apply to the Hoosier Chapter election:
- The annual election shall be conducted by written ballot mailed to all members at least three weeks before the closing date of the election, and shall be conducted in such a manner as to insure facility of voting and secrecy of ballot.
- A Nominating Committee of at least three members of the chapter, at least one not a member of the Excom, shall be appointed by the Excom not later than four months before the designated closing date of the annual election. No elected member of the Excom whose term is expiring may serve on the Nominating Committee, unless that member is not a candidate for reelection.
- Sufficient opportunity shall be given for members of the chapter to submit names for consideration by the Nominating Committee. Notice of this, and of the opportunity to nominate by petition, shall be given in the chapter newsletter.
- The Nominating Committee shall nominate at least one more candidate than the number of members of the Excom to be elected, and shall report their names to the Excom at least three weeks in advance of the scheduled mailing of ballots. Nominees shall be members of the chapter in good standing who give their consent. For the purposes of the 2000 Chapter Excom election, a member in good standing is defined as one who can prove Sierra Club membership on or before Nov. 1, 2000. Nominees will be requested to submit a ballot statement to be included with the ballot in the chapter newsletter.
- The name of any member of the chapter proposed in writing by five members of the chapter, and who gives consent, shall also be included on the ballot, provided that the petition and statement of consent are received by the Secretary at least ten days in advance of the scheduled mailing of the ballots.
- Prior to the scheduled date of mailing of ballots, the Excom shall appoint an Elections Committee of at least three members of the chapter. No nominee may serve on the Elections Committee.
- The Secretary shall cause the ballots to be prepared and mailed as scheduled. The ballot should allow each voter to vote once each for as many candidates as there are positions to be filled. The Elections Committee shall hold returned ballots unopened until the closing hour of the election. Ballots received by the Elections Committee postmarked after the established closing date of the election shall not be counted.
- The Elections Committee shall count the ballots on the closing date of the election, or the first convenient date within the following two weeks. The Elections Committee shall report the results immediately to the Secretary, if the Secretary is not serving on the Elections Committee. The candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall be elected. Any tie shall be resolved by lot, in the presence of the candidates or their authorized representatives. The Secretary shall immediately notify the candidates and the Chapter Chair. The ballots shall be retained until their destruction is directed by the Excom.
Heartlands Group Nominations for its Executive Committee
The Heartlands Group ExCom governs activities, services, and policies of the Heartlands Group. Three vacancies need to be filled by qualified candidates (to qualify, a candidate must be a current Sierra Club member).
Nominating Committee members are Luke Reynolds, (317) 845-7430 or firstname.lastname@example.org; Tim White, (317) 328-9382 or email@example.com; Phyllis Zimmerman, (317) 357-0392.
To nominate a person, send the nominee’s name, address and phone number, plus a brief signed statement of the nominee’s consent to run, and if elected, to serve on the ExCom. This information should be sent to the attention of the Heartland Group’s Nominating Committee, c/o Sierra Club Hoosier Chapter, 6224 N. College Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46620, or by calling or e-mailing a Nominating Committee member. Please note this is for the Heartlands Group ExCom, which is not the same as the Hoosier Chapter ExCom. The Heartlands Group constituency comes from Indianapolis and surrounding areas and is part of the Hoosier Chapter, which encompasses all of Indiana. Nominations must be received by Sept. 21.
The rules of the Heartlands Group elections are as follows: An annual election shall be held in the fourth quarter of each year to choose ExCom members. This election and any special elections shall be conducted by secret written ballot mailed to all group members of record at least four weeks before the closing date of the election, and shall be conducted in such a manner as to ensure facility of voting and tabulation, and secrecy of ballot. The ballot shall allow each voter to vote for as many candidates as there are positions to be filled. A voter may not cumulate votes for any candidate. The ExCom shall specify the calendar dates and deadlines for appointing the Nominating Committee (NomCom), production of eligible voter lists, receipt of names for consideration by the NomCom, receipt of ballot issue petitions, the NomCom report of names of nominees, receipt of candidate petitions, appointment of the Elections Committee, printing and mailing dates for ballots allowing at least four weeks for return of the ballots, receipt of returned ballots, and the date, time, and place for counting ballots. The ExCom shall provide written notice of this schedule and of the opportunity to nominate candidates by petition to all group members. A NomCom of at least three group members, at least one not an ExCom member, none of whom may be a candidate, shall be appointed annually by the ExCom not later than four months before the designated closing date of the election. Sufficient opportunity shall be given for group members to submit names for consideration by the NomCom. The NomCom shall attempt to nominate at least two more candidates than the number of ExCom members to be elected, and shall report the nominees’ names to the ExCom at least two weeks before the deadline for submission of nomination petitions and five weeks before the scheduled mailing of the ballots. Nominees shall be group members who give their consent. If the NomCom chooses not to nominate a willing candidate, the NomCom shall promptly inform that candidate of the opportunity to seek nomination by petition. The name of any group member proposed in writing by at least 1% of group members prior to the deadline for submission of petitions, and who gives consent, shall also be included on the ballot. The nomination petitions shall be retained until the ballots are destroyed. An Election Committee of at least three group members, at least one not an ExCom member, shall be appointed annually by the ExCom prior to the scheduled date of mailing ballots. Alternatively, the group ExCom may designate the Chapter Election Committee as Election Committee for the group. No candidates may serve on the Election Committee. The Election Committee shall cause the ballots to be prepared and mailed, and shall count the return ballots. Challenges of the conduct of candidates of the campaigns shall be referred to the Election Committee. Decisions of the Election Committee may be appealed to the ExCom. Ballots shall be mailed to all group members of record according to the voter list obtained prior to the election. Ballots shall be returned to the Election Committee as directed in the ballot instructions. Return of a minimum number of valid ballots shall not be required for the validity of an annual election or special election. The Election Committee shall count the ballots on the closing date of the election, or as soon as practical after the closing date of the election. The candidates or their authorized representatives shall be permitted to be present. The candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall be elected. Any tie shall be resolved immediately, first by a recount, then if necessary by lot at the ballot counting. The Election Committee shall report the results immediately to the Secretary. The Secretary shall immediately notify the candidates, the ExCom, membership, and other interested parties. The ballots and nominations petitions shall be retained until their destruction is directed by the ExCom.
Copyright © 2007 Hoosier Chapter Sierra Club, all rights reserved.[9/24/02]efp